High CBD Cannabis Strains For Aches and Chronic Pains

IMG_1162

Cannabis flower capsule taken with one avocado.

This year I have had the good fortune to try a number of different strains that are high in cannabidiol (CBD’s). It has changed my perspective of cannabis and I find myself now seeking those strains out the most. They are becoming easier to find but the majority of strains available are bred for THC. For somebody like myself who uses cannabis to act as an anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive, bone-stimulant, antibacterial, antispasmodic, it is the CBD’s  where I will get those benefits from.

The high CBD strains don’t carry the same psychoactive effects of THC. Don’t get me wrong, there are effects, but the high CBD strains seem to leave me more feeling clear, uplifted, and usually energetic. Great for daytime medicating. The effects vary when you eat it compared to smoking or vaporizing.

These are some of the high CBD strains that I have tried as of late. So far, I like them all. Not shocking.

Harlequin- (6-9%CBD, 5%THC) I’ve tried this strain vaporized, smoked, and eaten. I prefer eating it the most for the longest lasting effect. It seems to be the easiest CBD strain to find. It’s a great daytime strain.

IMG_0311

Sour Tsunami- (10%CBD, 1%THC) I’ve tried this one only once and I vaporized it. It left me feeling bright and relaxed.

HT2- (>10%CBD) A blend of Harlequin and Sour Tsunami- I vaporized it and found it to leave me creative, and energetic, and relaxed. A lovely daytime strain.

Omrita- This strain was found in a cannabis concentrate (RSO) and I used it to make chocolates. This strain seemed to be a little more relaxing but still not super heavy unless I upped the dosage.

IMG_0075

Omrita cannabis concentrate chocolates

Ruby Slippers-(11.87%CBD) Found at Mountain Medicine Clinic in Puyallup, I’ve tried this strain a couple of times in capsules filled with cannabis infused oil. This was the first high CBD experience I had. It wasn’t super heavy and I really liked the ease of delivering my medicine with a capsule.

Glinda’s Tonic- (8.17%CBD, 7.10%THC) Also found at the Mountain Medicine Clinic. I tried this one in canna-oil filled capsules same as the Ruby Slippers above. It was easy and pleasant.

Remedy- (14.2%CBD, .57%THC) I was recently given a nug of this from Anna of Urban Healing Collective in Seattle. I vaporized it and loved it. It noticeably reduced pain in minutes and left me feeling happy and uplifted.

Gravity- (12%CBD, 15%THC) I happened to be trying this one during a series of migraines. Totally worked to relieve the nausea and hold off the headache long enough to eat something before going to bed to sleep it off. Also from the Urban Healing Collective.

Pearl- (>10%CBD) Found in the Tacoma Cannabis Farmer’s Market from Liberatem, Tami at table 2. I took one capsule of the dried flower each day for a week, each time with a fat like avocado or coconut oil. This delivery method was totally new to me but it was pleasant, effective, uplifting, and energizing. Definitely worth trying.

IMG_1170

Hot coconut milk plus coconut oil taken with a Peal flower capsule.

IMG_1158

‘Pearl’ cannabis flower capsules.

IMG_1161

Rice cake with coconut oil and honey taken with my cannabis flower capsule.

IMG_1191

Coconut flour banana bread smeared with coconut oil taken with my cannabis flour capsule. Yum.

If you know of an awesome cannabis strain that is high in CBD’s I want to hear about it!

Until next time, may you remain perfectly medicated.

1. Posted by anjcv@comcast.net on July 12, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I was so impressed with this blog that I had to ran the lap top out to the green house to show the hubby. Thanks twisebakedinwashington!

2. Try Cannatonic – high CBD strain

• I will! Thanks for the strain suggestion.

• Stuck in Arkansas and forced to use legal, addictive and dangerous drugs to control pain. I’m a hard working father and husband who isn’t looking to get high, but needs safer medicine. Any advice on where to begin and how to obtain the high CBD strains? I would even venture to say that it might be easier to transport this plant in a tincture or oil form back to my home state. I won’t do it of course, because that is illegal….but I’m just saying…..

If you don’t mind enlightening me on the subject, will you email me sometime and we can start a conversation? Love your blog by the way.

• Brett,
        I wouldn’t know the first thing about how to get a high CBD strain or MMJ medicines in Arkansas. Keep asking everybody- somebody will be able to help.

• Posted by Brett on November 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

My apologies twicebaked…..My thoughts are to move to your area or at least vacation there long enough to detox off of these drugs. High CBD is the way to go from what I have studied. Is it difficult to obtain in WA and must I be a resident first to get a medical card?

Thanks for the help!

• Hi Brett,
        I believe you would need to be a resident for 3 months to get a medical card but I’m not absolutely positive about that rule. The high CBD strains are getting better and more plentiful in WA right now.
        -TB

3. Reblogged this on 4:20 Smokers Blog.

4. A bit of terminology clarification:

CBD = cannabidiol

Both THC and CBD are cannabinoids, of which there are several others, including CBC, CBG, CBN, THCV, and THCA.

5. Posted by Candace on July 18, 2013 at 7:54 am

Glindas Tonic is a strain of Cannatonic. Since every seed is a different phenotype she was given this name to differentiate from the others. There’s also have a strain named L Frank Baum which is 7.54 CBD & 4.57 THC. Be sure to try the CBD rich topicals made by the Wizard’s Garden as they are the most potent out there. They’re incredible for pain, inflammation, eczema, psoriasis and many have been using it to cure actinic keratosis which is the beginning of skin cancer. Ozmas Honey Healing Balm has a whopping 3.87mg CBD & 2.17 mg THC per GRAM! It’s made with Manuka honey, Manuka oil, shea butter, emu oil & mango butter and it’s delightful smell of warm honey and vanilla is so soothing.

6. Thank you for sharing more CBD-rich strains to look out for!

7. Wonderful! You should check out the strains from CBD Crew as well. Shantibaba, Howard Marks And Jaime Carrion made a unique collection of only CBD strains. All the strains are guaranteed high cbd phenos from the seeds :)

8. Posted by Cynthia on August 14, 2013 at 1:36 pm

How can I get a cannatonic high cbd strain?

• Hi Cynthia,
      You’re gonna have to shop around, ask everybody and once you find your high cbd strain, keep that contact. I usually have better luck finding high cbd strains at cannabis farmer’s markets than most medical collectives, if that is an option for you. Good luck!

9. Posted by jetcityorange on August 15, 2013 at 11:09 am

Cloners Market in North Seattle on Aurora stocks Harlequin & The Remedy clones. CannaPi in Georgetown has dried medicine.

10. Posted by Adam on September 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Hey can you let me know where to find high CBD < 1% THC strains in the Seattle area? I need it for medical purposes and don't want to feel the psychotropic effect of THC (need to use at work, in the day, etc.).

• You may want to check out Urban Healing Collective in Seattle, they usually have a spectrum of CBD strains. Most good collectives will carry high CBD strains, capsules, tinctures, topicals, etc. I would also check out the cannabis farmer’s markets and ask everyone. Good luck finding the right medicine for your needs.

11. Thanks kindly for sharing your comments and passing my blog along.

12. Posted by LoveLife on October 9, 2013 at 6:20 am

Hi TwiceBaked, and thank you for sharing!

I would love to get my hands on the recipe of the “Coconut flour and banana bred” in the picture above. My god that sounded nice man!! :) And yes, I´m baked…

• That banana bread was a divine treat. The recipe only exists in my head as I threw it together one night during a passionate banana bread baking session. You know how that goes. Thanks for leaving comments that put a smile on my face. Stay Lifted.

13. Posted by Joyce currell on October 11, 2013 at 2:59 am

This would be something to talk with y doctors about Ben on morphine for a long time. Would love something like CBD to help with pin but not make me sleep. I fell asleep at the wheels while driving an have since stop driving this will allow me to drive again. I py it helps me my daughter sent me the email.

14. Posted by Hankster on October 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Uh, first, trust your lived experience. With regard to high-CBD cannabis, lab results should roughly confirm that experience. The caveat is that subjective experiences for those who use high-CBD varieties will vary due to both the user’s level of habituation (and other user-related factors) and the THC-CBD ratio, along with the presence/absence/ratio of particular terpenes.

Thankfully, many medical cannabis providers are extremely reliable when it comes to high-CBD strains. My experience is with Fweedom in Seattle. They stock Sour Tsunami #3, Raskal OG, Harlequin, and maybe some others. They also have them in a variety of forms: flowers, tinctures, edibles (pretty sure), and so on. Great folks. And no, I have nothing whatsoever to do with Fweedom besides being their occasional customer.

15. Posted by Rae on October 27, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Greetings TwiceBaked! A couple questions about the delivery methods you describe.
    1. Are the cannabis flower capsules just simply cannabis flower/shake that YOU put inside a capsule? Is this something I can easily do myself? Or is it sold that way at collectives?
    2. Is there a specific reason for taking the capsules along with a high-fat food like avocado or coconut oil? Does that increase the absorption somehow?
    Many thanks and blessings! ~Rae

• Hi Rae,
      Cannabis flower capsules are not something that I have made myself, I found these capsules from a local cannabis farmer. Get yourself some capsules at most health food stores, grind your flower, and find a great high CBD strain to make your own. Simple enough but slightly too tedious for me on most days. You hit it right on the head about the fat assisting the absorption of the cannabis in your body. Good luck making your own! Thanks for reading.
      MuchLove,
      TwiceBaked

16. Posted by Bobbi Jo on November 16, 2013 at 9:51 am

That Intrest me what that did with Peral. It’s really just flower in caps??

• If you want to eat cannabis it *must* be decarboxylated. Decarbing converts inactive cannabinoids like THC-A and CBD-A into their active forms: THC and CBD. You *can* eat or juice raw cannabis but must of what you eat won’t work like you think it will.

Learn more about decarbing: http://www.LeBlancCNE.com/decarboxylation/

• Jerry, thank you for adding to this conversation. For some of us, the raw THC-A and the CBD-A are desired for the boosting the endocannabinoid system without psychoactive effects. When I eat raw cannabis I never get high but I do feel energized, alive, generally pain-free, and positive.

17. Posted by Brett on November 22, 2013 at 7:52 am

I recommend the following article/scientific study/analysis to anyone who is truly interested in cannabis as medicine. Decarboxylation actually isn’t the best way. If you hate reading, please read the last paragraph only which deals with a simple olive oil extraction and how it is the best way, as apposed to decarbing, etc.

18. Posted by Biolochic on December 13, 2013 at 11:08 am

I’m trying to figure out if a tincture or a Kind Cap would be better for me. Do you have any opinions on tincture vs capsules?

• I like capsules for how easy they are to take but they can be pricey to buy or tedious to make. I also like tinctures for how easy they are to use, how easy they are to make, the fact that you can also use them as a topical.

19. Posted by Deborah Whitehead on March 17, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Iam looking for high cbd with the lowest tnx that would work for seizure in a 12yr old what do you suggest will work best without the high affects..

• Hi Deborah,
      I would highly recommend researching raw cannabis and juicing raw cannabis as a non-psychoactive use of medicinal cannabis. It is a healthy way to get CBD and THC in its non-pshychoactive acid form. Also, as a side note, many of the people I know who use cannabis for seizures benefit from the THC as well as CBD to manage their condition. I appreciate what you are doing for that child.

20. […] High CBD Cannabis Strains For Aches and Chronic Pains. […]

21. Posted by Deborah Whitehead on March 21, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Thank you for the information that is very helpful to know this an sure to be useful in his treatment. :) is there a strain that will work better or does it make a difference. .

22. Posted by cassandra gaspard on June 12, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Where can i buy cbd liquid for my hemp vap? i purchased in AZ while on vacation and do not have a medical card, is there a place in N Seattle to purchase without med card??