The CBD Cannabis Root Experience

IMG_1020

This week I was given a totally different way to try cannabis. Dried, activated, aeroponically grown cannabis root. I’d never heard of such a thing either. I was told it was super high in CBDs (cannabidiol): the anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive, antibacterial, antispasmodic (among other things) part of cannabis that makes it such a valuable medicine. I was also told that I would not be getting high from this and that it would counteract the effects of  any medicine that had THC in it. I was ready to try it.

IMG_1009

There were two things that I wanted to experiment with. First, I wanted to see how it affected me and if it was good for pain and discomfort. Second, I wanted to see if the CBD root would actually counteract a dose of THC.

I will be honest and tell you that I kind of did my experimenting a little backward. I did the THC part first, as I’m sure you can guess why. It’s seemed like it would be more interesting.

IMG_1014

Day 1:

6:30am- I ate a healthy dose of cannabis concentrate that was high in THC. I decided that it was a good idea to see if the CBD root would counteract the THC that I had taken.

11am- I was still feeling the effects of my morning concentrate and decided to take the first dose of cannabis root, 1 tsp. I poured a little in my hand and ate it dry with a snack bar chaser and some water. It didn’t have much flavor but was not super easy to get down only because it was so dry.

12:30am- I took a second 1tsp dose. This time I poured it into my smoothie. I was left feeling relaxed and possibly a little more quiet than I normally am. The bottom line, I was fairly medicated all day. Can I say that the CBD took down the THC? I’m honestly not sure but it was a pleasant experience nonetheless.

I decided to do the second half of my experimenting the next day without THC involvement.

IMG_1018

Day 2:

6am- I took a 2 tsp dose of cannabis root in my smoothie. Around 7:30am I could feel it kick in. Early morning back pain melted away and I was left feeling relaxed and good without a THC ‘high.’ This lasted for a large portion of the day. I felt perfectly medicated for daytime activities, energetic, happy, and physically feeling good. Funny how much better things work when you take them as instructed.

I’m not sure that you will be able to find cannabis root at a collective near you but it is an interesting and noteworthy thing to see how people are continuing to find new ways to use the cannabis plant.

I am so grateful to have been able to try my medicine in this form and experience something new from cannabis.

That is the sweetest of greens.

1. Thanks for reading! OneLove.

2. Posted by Pete on October 4, 2013 at 5:51 am

Hi…. just stumbled on this site and wanted to tell you guys a couple things:

The Endocannabinoid receptors in the human body can be tricked while ingesting oil….

If you would have followed the instructions you would have gotten less head high….

When I give oil to a cancer patient…. I usually take 30 grams of the highest THC and 30 grams of the highest cbd I can get…. and mix them together….

When I have a patient with low tolerance I keep them separate and have the patient ingest the first half of the dose they are taking the CBD dose… and then 20 minutes later they take the thc dose…..

The reasoning for this is the CBD receptors in your body will be full of CBD when you ingest the TCH and you will get LESS head high……

Hope this helps!

They will still get head high…. but just way less…..

3. Thanks for taking the time to leave some great comments. Have a great day!

4. My first little harvest is drying and curing. Made some pretty impressive tincture outa the trim and little buds. Drying the roots and stems now. Extraction method I used was:
    Quick oven dry > Everclear soak ‘n shake > gentle double boiler heating. Gonna chop the roots as fine as possible and try the same, probably with a lot longer ETOH soak.
    I’m new to this but 220F seems kinda high for decarb, is it different for root stock. I’ve read a range of 165-180, but I guess you can always tell by the little bubbles.

5. Congratulations on your first harvest. Hope your methods are providing you with the results you were looking for. I always hear others give different temperatures and times for decarboxylating, which is confusing, huh? I don’t know the difference for decarboxylating roots- that is a great question. I would be curious to hear about your results! Have an awesome cannabis filled day.

6. […] that was a THC dominant strain (…it only yielded THC)), i dunno, you may have already seen it. The CBD Cannabis Root Experience | twicebaked in washington …i am guessing it takes a while for toxins to accumulate in the body if they are there anyhoo, […]

7. Awesome! A website here which offers Medical Marijuana Dispensary center.

8. is there a way to use cannabis in any form and get the same dose every time??

9. Hi William,
    If I understand your question correctly, yes, there is a way to get the same dose every time. You use the same amount of the same strain each time. If you are able to test your cannabis for its percentage of properties, such as THC, you are also able to then go by a specific number and be able to figure out in mg what your dose is. This is definitely an ongoing subject. Thanks for a great question.

10. Posted by Markwin Kobus on March 17, 2014 at 11:20 am

Really interesting, thanx for posting. One question though: You’re talking about dried, “activated” root. what does the activating entail??

11. Can you tell me where I can purchase the root ? My husband takes CBD oil for his Cancer and I take it for several major health issues. I do like the idea of a smoothie, etc.

12. Hi Margot! I was given this root from a local grower who grew and prepared it himself. I don’t know of anywhere it could be purchased like this. Healing wishes sent to you and yours.

13. By activated, I mean decarboxylated. Decarboxylating requires heating the plant matter to a low temperature in order to change the CBD-A to CBD. I forget the actual times and temps that I was told this was batch was activated with (a year ago) but something in the ballpark of 200F for just under an hour.
    Thanks for reading and sending me comments! Have an awesome day.

14. Posted by Steve on March 18, 2014 at 8:09 am

Obtaining root.
    You can grow a single plant using Deep Water Culture method. You will end up with a large root mass. My plants are water cured (osmosis) and the result is a very clean end product. Perhaps the same can be done with the roots. I’m certainly going to give it a try.
    I have osteo-arthritis, my wife has adena-carcenoma in her lungs (cancer). My oldest daughter suffers from depression and anxiety and my neighbors wife has fybro-myalgia. I’m proud to say I have effectively helped all of the above. I have often wondered about all those beautiful white roots that are wasted. I will be processing all of my deep water culture roots and giving this some serious attention. I will call this “Gandalfs Beard” if it shows any positive results. In a survival situation (lost in the bush) you are warned to try things in very small amounts to exercise extreme caution. So that’s what I’ll do but it will be in 3 months from now.
    Steve

15. Steve, Thank you for sharing what you do. It does not go unnoticed that you are helping others get well in this world. Keep up the amazing work.

16. Posted by Steve on March 22, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Thank you for the reply TwiceBaked. Just a note to any Canadians. Fri Mar 21 the suppreme court extended the Mar 31/14 dead line (re: licensed to possess/grow) until the case goes to trial, could be as long as a year. Do not destroy your plants and seeds we can relax for a while. Search Conroy & Company barristers and solicitors then click on mmarlitigation for complete details.

17. […] this form and experience something new from cannabis.That is the sweetest of greens.- TwiceBaked The CBD Cannabis Root Experience | twicebaked in washington __________________ Support disorganized […]

18. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you so
    much, However I am encountering troubles with your RSS. I don’t understand why
    I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody
    else having identical RSS issues? Anyone that knows the solution will you kindly respond?

Thanx!!

19. Thanks for reading and bringing up technical issues. Working on that.

20. Posted by tes on July 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

If only they would legalise it in New Zealand!

21. I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic.

I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding
    more. Thanks for magnificent information I was looking for this info for
    my mission.

22. Study to the production of pot for your drug Marinol and also
    other more profitable and marketable forms of cannabis-based medications has more shoved the bag of pot growth in every forms of lab personal and public.
    Of a low-soil medium exposed to a vitamin and water flow, it consists generally.

23. Posted by Bryce Archibald on October 2, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Soon I will be making oils from the whole plant roots and all for a stage 3 cancer patient. I have a friend who has also made it with roots and all and came out with and amazing cure, we cured his 3 month old daughters brain cancer with our oils. I may not have scientific backing but yes the whole plant is sooooo beneficial

24. […] een hydrosysteem zou drogen kun je zelfs deze goed gebruiken. De wortels van wiet bevatten namelijk grote hoeveelheden CBD. Je kunt ze vermalen en eten, maar ik zou ze wel verwerken in een smoothie want ze zijn erg droog […]

25. […] marijuana, medicinal cannabis, mmj, pain management. 2 Comments This week I was given a totally different way to try cannabis. Dried, activated, aeroponically […]

26. My son used dried roots from high CBD med plants to make a salve (crock pot for two days on low with og coconut/olive oil and then mixing in a little beeswax) for topical application for body pain. It’s working really well for me and if I rub it onto a larger area of my body, like my back and then hands and feet (put cotton socks on) at bedtime it seems to help me sleep deeper/better. Rubbing this on my face at bedtime seems to have a decongestant effect. Gave some to a friend to try for her terrible eczema, we’ll see how that goes.

27. The roots are high in spermadine alkaloids. I would have to see an analysis before believing CBD was the active component of this.

28. Posted by OldnSick on February 17, 2015 at 11:47 am

The “HIGH” goes away once the receptors get accustomed to it. I used to work for CBC Portland in the early 1990s. Think about this, “Pot heads” tend to take cannabis fasts, SPECIFICALLY because if they smoke a lot all the time they stop getting high. However the AMOUNTS needed to reach this point can be hard to sustain financially (2 1/2+ or more ounces a month, depending on the strength of the strain)

29. Posted by OldnSick on February 17, 2015 at 11:49 am

PICTIC? That is in the far north of Scotland. Try the Kush Valley of ancient Hindustan for an early source, Turkey even.

30. I agree Jim. There were no tests done to make this anything but a personal experience from taking the roots.

31. Posted by Rebecca on February 21, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I recently had my roots tested at the lab here in Oregon where we have had a MM program 17 years now. I use it in salve and lotion often so was excited to finally know exactly what I had wondered for so long. I only gave them a small amount of ground roots . The CBD was .084% CBG .024%,CBC .019% CBN .016% and THC .013% Which on the pie chart is a LOT of CBD and near equal pie pieces for the rest of the spectrum. It works so amazingly well. I am literally erasing 24 year old stretch marks with this salve. I have watched it heal an abscess very quickly, stops arthritis pain. .In fact over night you will notice some results …may not be huge but it will morph for the better.Then everyday you use it watch improvements.I have not used it internally.I am having the actual salve tested here soon so I will post results on that then.

32. Posted by Becky on March 24, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Im a mm patient in Oregon. I got my super silver haze roots tested after i dried them over two days in front of a fan in paper sacks. They had a 2/3 was cbd the rest of the cannabinoids were equal to each other cbc,cbg,cbn,and thc was the very lowest at almost none. Did not heat activate just ground up in the grinder. They I make salve same as others do coconut oil over 2 nights in a low heat. Add beeswax,vit e (preservative) and scent if wanted then use as needed for all things skin,muscle,or joint related. WORKS AMAZING. Have seen it used for arthritis, psoriasis, pain, and worked exceptionally well on a very bad abscess. I highly recommend as topical.

33. AWESOME. Thank you for sharing!
    -TwiceBakedinWA

34. […] The CBD Cannabis Root Experience. […]

35. Posted by Naho on July 31, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I would like to know how you dried the roots if there is instruction.
    I love to try it.

36. CBD is really low in roots and there are many better sources, that said roots are used mainly for skin problems around the world.

37. Posted by Dingo on October 6, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Heya all, Thankyou to all who have posted their experiences.. I am interested in whole plant usage…. I wish to use the roots from my Rec/Med plants that I grow here in Tasmania… I am particularly wanting to find more current info on ingesting as a herbal tea or powder added to a smoothie. Question if taken as a dry additive does it have the same negative as the tea form ?

personally- I have air/ sun dried the roots crushed and ground them my next step is to make a mild tea and see what happens, but a bit nervous so would like to learn more
    🙂 have fun 4:20
    Dingo

38. Posted by Lora on October 9, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Have had two spinal surgeries the first I was left with 3ml of y spinal cord in my c345 area of my neck and the 2nd lower back fusion and have found cannabis to be the only pain relief that works as the chemicals make me Nausea’s would like to be part of this experiment

39. Posted by Gerry on October 10, 2015 at 11:44 am

How do we turn the root into a powder once taken from the ground ?

40. Dehydrate and grind. TBinWA

41. Thanks for sharing Lora! Happy to hear you have been able to find pain relief from cannabis. Being Pain Free is kind of a big deal, huh?
    Peace,
    TwiceBakedinWA

42. Posted by Shirley on November 9, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Can Cbd be taken if you are working, when they have random drug testing? Because I would love to try it?

43. Hi Shirley, CBD is great for daytime. If your work is testing for THC and the product you are taking has no THC, it theoretically should not be an issue. I suggest knowing exactly what is in the product you are taking before potentially risking your job. Peace. -TwiceBakedinWA

44. I would make a tincture of the root and use that.

45. Decarboxylating: that can be preformed in a few different ways. Using heat above 110F does cause serious damage to the medicinal properties. Heat below 110F will properly dry, but then you need to allow it to stay in a sealed jar, in a dark place, for a good 4 months. Natural decarbing is the best, heat cannot make up for it. Heat is only a quick fix for decarbing. Just like drying fresh bud, you can use an oven, but it will not taste nearly as good as naturally drying.
    Here are all my methods: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/532-growgoddess-blog/

46. Hi Gigi, Thanks for sharing!

47. Posted by Zoog on April 20, 2016 at 1:24 pm

CBD is only an antagonist to THC in one particular cannabinoid receptor affecting Long Term memory. So when THC agonizes this receptor, and you drive all the way into town but forget your wallet at home, you get upset with yourself and your brain tells CBD to antagonize that receptor and kick out the THC. Otherwise the antagonism won’t happen. The rest of the receptors affected by THC will not be affected by CBD. You can get a really weird high from CBD, especially when you experience the entourage effect of additional terpenes. The high is described as spacey, dreamy, sleepy. When my friend takes too much CBD I can’t really talk to her.

48. Hi Zoog, Thanks for your comments. They remind us that every body has a threshold for how much cannabis is necessary and helpful. Usually, people don’t seem to need that much. -TBinWA

Comments are closed.