The Cannabis Suppository Experience

IMG_1648

When I was first told about being able to take cannabis in suppository form I think I shook my head and asked why the hell would anybody want to medicate that way? Well, it turns out that all sorts of people use suppositories for good reason, because they work.

Cannabis suppositories bypass the liver and are absorbed into the bloodstream quickly by thousands of nerve endings in the colon and rectum walls. They don’t give you the same euphoria as is experienced when you inhale or eat your cannabis and they provide hours of relief for physical pain. This makes it an effective delivery method for people who may not be able to eat, inhale, or are suffering from cramping, inflammation, vomiting, body pain, or any number of ailments that happen below the belt.

I got curious about how different this delivery method was from the many other ways that I currently use cannabis. I started looking for suppositories in various dispensaries with no luck. That search ended the day that I asked a dispensary employee if they had any suppositories. I knew I was in trouble when she took me over to their glass section. She slowly looked over the entire case of pipes and bongs and said, “Nope, I don’t see any here. Do you need any rolling papers?” One side of me was telling me to educate that girl about suppositories but the other side of me was laughing so hard it was all I could do to get to my car where I had a good belly laugh until tears ran down my face. Precious memories.

So, I called in some advice from other patients about using cannabis suppositories and embarked on making my own. From what other patients told me about their experiences I was going to be relieved of pain and possibly super horny for hours. While that concept was not undesirable to me, I had visions of not being able to get out of bed due to non-stop orgasms. How would I be able to function like that? Apparently I have a healthy imagination.

They suggested using coconut oil for its antibacterial qualities and its ability to assist in the absorption. They also said to make sure everything was super clean and to maybe plan to not be alone in the event that I did experience an increase in libido.

IMG_1661

Making the suppositories was very easy. I super cleaned my workspace and tools.  I melted PHO (propane hash oil) in a small amount of coconut oil, poured it in small forms, and chilled it. I calculated what a serving might be like for me based on how strong it felt when I took it sublingually.

I was reminded of what it feels like for new patients trying cannabis for the first time. It can feel a little daunting when you have no idea what you might experience. Although I have been using cannabis for some time and know how my body will react to it, I was still nervous.

IMG_1665

Happily, my first dose was just right and my experience was not super intense. Within minutes I could feel a warm, pleasant sensation washing over my entire pelvic region while the muscles in my back, pelvis, and entire body totally relaxed. The zero body pain and zero anxiety without a  “head high” lasted for a few hours.  I kept expecting it to keep getting more intense but it never did and I was able to get on with my day.

I took another slightly higher dose later that day. The effects were definitely stronger and while I was lying down for the medicine to absorb I fell asleep. I woke up an hour later feeling very rested and physically relaxed. It was wonderful, actually.

There is another thing to know. What goes in eventually comes out, so be prepared for that surprise.

I came away from the experience feeling enlightened about the suppository cannabis delivery method. It was not the paralyzing horny high that I was imagining but certainly a great option to have in the cannabis medicine cabinet.

The bottom line is that cannabis suppositories are not scary, just different.

1. Posted by Bill Schoppert on February 13, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I have a patient that uses the pain cream I make in kind of the same way. Doesn’t sound very nice but he has Crohns and since he has started applying it anally he has got off his meds completely. He also uses a glycerin tiniture orally. He is very happy and says the bottom way works so fast. Maybe I will make some suppositories using Harlequin cannabis oil. I will start with a half of grain and go up from there. What do you think on that dose?

2. Thank You for shareing all the info ,that you Blog about can you explane the process for making Tea from cannabis why the milk? I had stage 4 lung cancer had took chemo ,Its been almost a year now and I don’t feel comfortable smoking.but I think I would like a Tea.Thanks again for your Blog.

3. What fabulous and important information twice-baked ! Thank you!
    I must say I was rolling with laughter a few times too…so thanks for the laughs!

4. Posted by Ben on February 14, 2014 at 6:54 am

I am so grateful for your strength and your curious nature. I probably would never have thought of using suppositories but upon reading this it would definitely be an option now. Thanks for all that you do to help others with such great information along this cannabis journey. Have a great day.

5. Reblogged this on 4:20 Smokers Blog.

6. Very interesting method of ingesting cannabis.. never knew cannabis could be delivered this way.. thanks for enlightening me!!

-THC

7. Hi High Canadian,
    Thank you for reading. I was very enlightened by this cannabis delivery method too. Warmest Indica Hugs to Canada.

8. aww.. you’re soo kind!

Back atcha!!!!

420 .. one love…

9. Hi Ben, I am so grateful for your kind words. They have motivated me to stay adventurous and learn more. Warm Indica Hugs to you.

10. Hi Malana, Thank you for your comments! I giggled a lot while writing this. Knowing that you giggled too will out a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

11. Hi Bill,
    Thank you for sharing! I figured my own dosage based on how I felt when I took it subligually and my own tolerance. With most oils, a grain of rice is just right for me. I found that same dose as a suppository to be just right for daytime. A higher dose seems to put me to sleep, which is also nice at for bedtime.
    It sounds like you are doing good work in this world. Keep it up!

12. Posted by Audrey on November 13, 2014 at 4:22 am

Hi, I am just starting on this journey with my husband who has cancer. I have been given hemp oil in see-through capsules. I am presuming that the capsule will break down and the hemp oil will go into the blood stream. I find it interesting that there is purported lack of a high, even though it goes into the bloodstream. Can you explain that?

13. Audrey.
    The Delta9 THC when taken orally offers a higher dose of D9THC to the body compaired to inhalation. When processed by the liver converts the D9THC to Hydroxy11. The Hydroxy11 has a stronger psychoactive effect than D9THC alone. Higher dose of THC =higher dose Hydroxy=more of a psychoactive effect or higher high. When you by pass the liver (that converts THC to Hydroxy) by way of the back door or rectal insertion it does not get converted thus less high. But be careful. I have read that if you insert too far into the rectum it can make its way to the liver thus inducing a greater high effect. Your body receives a higher dose of the good from Cannabis with rectal delivery. Anybody suffering should use all methods possible to consume Cannabis to saturated the body. That way there will be no distraction from anyother underlying health issues that may take away from your most concerned issue.

14. Posted by tamrakat on January 27, 2015 at 1:22 am

I’ve been using a cannabis/coconut oil suppository for about a month. I purchased the oil at a local shop and make my own suppositories. I use about a 1/4 to 1/3 gram in each dose but I’m not feeling anything different at all. I wanted to try it this way because I don’t like the way smoking or eating cannabis feels, but I thought I would at least feel something. Now I’m wondering if the oil I purchased isn’t any good, and perhaps I’ll have to make my own cannabis oil.

15. Hi TB!
    Interesting! I’m going to have to try the suppository method. The screws in my lower back are a never ending source of sometimes debilitating pain, and my cannabis use is a never ending source of sometimes debilitating impairment!
    I use cannabis to get high just as often as I use it to relieve pain, but I need to be able to relieve pain and also not get high. I’ve tried all the CBD meds out there, but it takes a hard hitting indica to adequately quell my everyday pain.
    Thanks for the great post!
    -Dave

16. Posted by Francois on March 24, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Hi Twicebaked,
    Thank you very much for sharing. Would you mind sharing your exact method/recipe, because I, for example, am curious how the coconut oil mixed with the “cannaoil.” I once tried this but it did not work very well because the co2 oil kept wanting to be separate from the coconut oil no matter how much I heated or mixed it. Thanks again.

17. If I ever make these again and actually write the exact procedure down, I will share it then. I’ve never had a problem dissolving co2 oil in coconut oil like you described so I have no valuable advice to give as to what may have been happening. Keep at it and Thank YOU for sharing too.
    -TwiceBakedinWA

18. […] Posted February 13, 2014 by TwiceBaked in Washington in Using Medicinal Cannabis. Tagged:anxiety, back pain, cannabis, cannabis suppositories, chronic pain, coconut oil, health, marijuana,medical marijuana, mmj, pain management, washington. 11 Comments […]

19. Posted by rain on July 20, 2015 at 10:39 pm

hi Twicebaked

thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have questions that I can not seem to find an answer to. First I have breast cancer, so am taking cannabis oil for treatment. I absolutely can not tolerate the high from taking it orally (two small kids…need a coherent mamma) so I have been injecting a gram a day from a syringe suppository style.
    I have never felt a high. My question is, is it imperative that you make it into a suppository (your method or others) with oil or is it still ok that I just shoot it straight from a syringe without any other substance?

20. Hi Rain, Thank you for such a great question! I know that one purpose of the coconut oil is to help with absorption but, to be honest, I’m not sure if that applies to using suppository. I would try both to see what feels best.
    Peace and Love,
    TwiceBakedinWA

21. Posted by Mike ... on December 31, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I cannot understand why you would use a petroleum product to make Cannabis oil when you can just as easily use 190 proof alcohol, since it has been proven time and time again that you can’t remove all the solvent from your product, I would much rather have a little alcohol that my body knows how to deal with than any petroleum product.

22. […] Suppositories: The pelvic area is rich with blood vessels and using a suppository will make your lower body relax like nothing else and provide a healthy dose of cannabinoids as this […]

23. Posted by Valentina on January 9, 2016 at 5:54 am

Helow! Does enyone know how long is it takes suppositories get is blood stream after you take them? My father has problems with going to the bathroom few minutes after he takes suppository. He fears that medicine has no effect. It doesnt help to lay down after taking it. Please for some advice. Thanks

24. Hi Valentina, Great question. It doesn’t take too long, about 15 minutes has been my experience, but everybody is different. I don’t have any great tips for keeping it in if you gotta go besides laying on your side and breathing through the retention, much like an enema. You are so sweet to be researching for him. Peace.
    -Twicebakedinwa

25. Posted by BRichard on April 4, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Hi TwiceBaked, what is the best way to “titrate” or measure an accurate dosage of the oil in your experience? I am better off with half a grain of rice amount, but I would up the dose over time. The thing is is I would like an accurate measured amount. Problem is is the oil is soooo thick, it is hard to measure. i would like to make 60 suppositories and use 2-3 per day for 20 days or so.

PS. Have you heard of anyone ever treating prostate issues this way?
    Oh, I am also VERY sensitive to cannabis (smoking or ingesting Rick Simpson oil) as I get REALLY high… Can the suppositories be taken daily without being completely HIGH as a kite (like the Simpson oil makes me)?
    Also, does your butt leak brownish residue (sorry to be so graphic), but the oil is quite messy. I used it topically for a while and it gets all over everything. Its like grease!
    Amazing stuff though! I hope I can get this to work! I have to cure an ailing prostate back to health!

26. Hi BRichard, I’ve heard that suppositories are the way to go for helping the prostate to heal. Start with a low dose and work your way up. The only way I know to accurately titrate your medicine is to start with tested cannabis oil that hold those number and allows for math. My experience is that the suppositories make your body relaxed and if it is a high dose will put your to sleep. Yes, its messy. I’ve not had to take it like that multiple times a day so I can’t speak on what you might run into on that level. Sending you good vibes. Heal well. -TBinWA

Comments are closed.