Mom, My Brain Requires Cannabis

My Brain on Cannabis

This is a heavy topic filled with things that I don’t like to share. I write on because I know somebody else out there is dealing with this too and I want you to know that you are not alone.

It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve blogged here, which is not my style. I’m usually here every week.

Well, to be honest I’ve just not been into this lately.  It’s not that I have nothing to say or topics to write about, its that my brain has literally not been itself. The gray matter has been in a severe low forcing me to deal with life without fully being there for me. While I can say that it is functioning better today than it was yesterday, managing a brain that requires extra attention can be exhausting.

My brain has had to deal with migraines since I was 9 years old. Thankfully they are not everyday and I have been able to prevent them from happening very often with lifestyle and cannabis but reading studies that show a correlation between a number of horrible ailments like Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s for people who get migraines sits heavy with me. That’s not a future I can accept.

My brain has had to deal with depression since I was young too. I’ll never forget the first time that I had suicidal thoughts at age 13 and then also thinking at the same time how strange that thought was since I love life. While I’ve found ways to manage depression it is still something that my brain is afflicted with from time to time. I take dark feelings seriously because I am fully aware of what being in a depressed state is doing for my future older brain.

My brain has also been sending my nervous system jacked up messages since I was a child. My musculoskeletal system is the perfect example of this. It developed with severe scoliosis, muscle spasms, and since a tender age I have actively worked on creating and maintaining balance and ease when I walk and move. Since childhood I have also had to deal with a feeling that is like my skin is crawling if I have to sit still for too long. It’s not painful per se, but it is so uncomfortable that pain is be easier to deal with.

In my world, cannabis is used as a tool to help me manage the chronic conditions of my brain. Regularly taking it raw has made a noticeable difference in the frequency of my migraines, depressions, and muscle spasms, like they become a distant memory. Inhaling cannabis calms my nervous system down and lifts me above depressions that my brain may be experiencing in the moment. Cannabis topicals ease and stop the muscle spasms and eases the funky nerve stuff.

The quest to take care of my very special brain requires listening without judgement to the messages it sends me and loving it with healthy food, positive stimulation, meditation to practice calm, and cannabis.

If you have a special brain too, may you find peace today.

-TwiceBakedinWA

1. I haven’t had cannabis scents Sunday and now my brain is in hyper drive telling me to quickly smoke some before I have an epileptic seizure….Yes I have epilepsy…. B|

2. Posted by Mainah on September 24, 2014 at 8:29 am

Thanks for sharing TB! With peripheral neuropathies, autonomic neuropathy, trygeminal neuralgia and cluster headaches, I’m with you! Depression is a given at times im afraid, but like you, cannabis seems to make it all much easier to deal with. Beats the heck out of all the opioids I was on. That was a never ending death spiral of increasing doses, worsening depression, and increasing pain.
    When do you suppose the rest of the world will wake up?
    Mainah

3. Posted by Donna-IIN on September 24, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hello my friend! Always grateful for your transparency…
    You may have already tried doTerra essential oils for the migraines. But if not, research all the amazing testimonials from using a few of these oils on the temples, back of neck, roof of mouth. Some mentioned are Past Tense, Frankincense, Peppermint, Lavender, Deep Blue.❤

4. Posted by FoodSnob on September 24, 2014 at 10:55 am

Dear TB,

May I suggest you stop eating all gluten filled foods, especially bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, etc. Borrow or buy the book Wheat Belly and Grain Brain. If you don’t have the energy to read, borrow the audio CD and listen to it in your car on the way to work. if the science gets a bit heavy in WB, just skim over it, like you are driving on a frozen lake with your car! WB came out in 2011, the very same year that I gave up wheat and sugar for health reasons. Start consuming lots and lots of coconut oil. Use the MMJ to your benefit by adding it to your foods.

When I gave up wheat and sugar, and went on a low-carb way of eating, Asthma that I had suffered from since my youth disappeared! No more drugs, no more steroid inhalers, no more allergies. I am 100% German. My father, who will make 89 this year watched his diet his entire life. He was not a big man, but consumed foods in moderation, had a job he loved and traveled extensively. The one thing he was big on was making and eating his own bread; rye bread that is! Rye bread full of GMO wheat and rye. Several years ago, he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s! Now I can just hear the naysayers out there saying something stupid like, “well, he’s 86, what do you expect?” we’re all going to die of something right? Don’t be fooled by that garbage TB, you are smarter than that! Plus, you’re a woman, so you do have a slight advantage when it comes to things of an intuitive nature.

When my ex-husband gave up wheat, his regular head-aches went bye-bye. I don’t think his headaches were the caliber of a migraine, but bad enough that he never went anywhere without Advil in his jeans!

TB, please do yourself a favor and get off the gluten. I have scoliosis too, and I have found the best exercise for that is a daily walk, at a brisk pace, combined with weight lifting on the days when the weather is too damp or cold. I don’t know how old you are or what your sun sign is, but you deserve better; remember you’re worth it! And don’t you forget it! If there is anything I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Namaste

5. Posted by FoodSnob on September 24, 2014 at 11:03 am

Just one more thing TB, then I’m leaving for my walk.

In Grain Brain, Dr. Perlmutter says that individuals of northern European ancestry are more likely to suffer from neurological issues than other races. Neurological issues such as Depression, Alztheimers, Dementia, and Parkinson’s disease, among others!

I can’t help thinking about Robin Williams who passed recently. Was he tethered to healthy whole grains and organic sugar, thinking he was doing the right thing by his body, or was he setting himself up for self-poisoning?

MMJ will only take you so far. Eliminating wheat and sugar, may help you, and be less expensive in the long run. What do you have to lose? Well, for starters all the things you mention in your post. And listen, if it doesn’t work for you, b/c I know we all have different metabolisms, you can try something else!

For me, the first three weeks were like I had a bad case of the Flu. It’s just the withdrawal effect of wheat and sugar leaving your body. After that, I promise you it will get better; it always does.

Namaste

6. Wow. And, hear that. Never considered my brain “special” in that I’d assumed nearly ALL deal with what you describe. Sounded somewhat normal, with “wow” for how crisply accurate you depict. Maybe … I just need to get out more!

7. Posted by Susan on September 25, 2014 at 11:40 pm

I’ve been a pot grower for some time, 20+ years, growing for the income and to help a few people who used it as medicine. My daughter had a serious biking accident in 09, major head injury ( no helmet) and as a result has developed a special brain. I concentrated my efforts on researching and growing strains specifically for her. I can say without a doubt she would not be experiencing the level of overall health and specifically brain health with out mmj. I agree wholeheartedly with a gluten free and soy free diet. Thank you for being candid.

8. […] either killing themselves or somebody else when the reality is that cannabis is daily helping the suicidal who are able to choose this as a […]